Boss DS-1W Waza Craft Distortion Pedal
The Ultimate Take on The BOSS DS-1
It’s tough to improve on the classics — especially when you’ve got a back catalog as renowned as BOSS’ color-coded stompboxes! Nevertheless, whenever a new Waza Craft pedal makes its way through Sweetwater’s doors, we can’t help but be blown away by the BOSS team’s ability to enhance, refine, and reimagine some of their most renowned pedals. Speaking of legendary, the DS-1W is a bold new take on the world's most famous orange stompbox, a pedal found on countless records — spanning Kurt Cobain’s grunge-rock fury to Prince’s funky flair. The stomp’s all-analog circuitry has been revised, sporting a 2-stage gain circuit, and you’ll also notice that this 3-knob wonder now has a 2-way switch built into it. What does it do? In standard mode, the DS-1W is classic DS-1, full of sharp attack and a smooth, saturated sustain; flip to the custom mode to unlock a more midrange-focused voice that fills out your tone’s bottom end while kicking up the output. From alt-rock attitude to heavy hard rock to just about anything else, the DS-1W is the ultimate take on arguably the most iconic BOSS pedal in history.
While we love the sheer simplicity of the classic BOSS DS-1, this updated Waza Craft version offers a whole new level of dirtbox versatility. A 2-way switch allows you to swap between standard mode — the standard DS-1 — and the new bass-enhancing, midrange-focused custom mode.
- Standard (S) mode: This mode provides the epitome of DS-1 tone, beloved by guitarists for decades for its versatility, definition, and hard-hitting punch. Just like the original, the tone control affects both high and low frequencies, allowing you to precisely dial in your dirt tones for any sonic application.
- Custom (C) mode: The DS-1W’s custom mode is the ideal blend of old and new, combining the revered voice of the DS-1 with a fresh new dose of character for enhanced tonal utility. This setting’s enhanced midrange bark adds body to your sound, in addition to making it a must-have feature for guitarists looking to cut through a dense mix. To enhance richness and presence, the tone control has been slightly modified, and the overall level is pushed up by 6dB to better drive a hot tube amp. Finally, custom mode maximizes the DS-1W's dynamics for a touch responsiveness never before heard in your standard DS-1.
An Incredible Tonal Legacy
What was your first guitar pedal? Ask around at Sweetwater, and the most common answer you’re likely to hear is the BOSS DS-1. It's reigned as an absolute mainstay for over 40 years due to its flexible utility, aggressive tone, and sheer affordability. Kurt Cobain, Joe Satriani, Prince, Steve Vai, John Frusciante, Robert Smith, Gary Moore: the DS-1’s mark traverses genre and era. If you’re looking to capture some of this little orange box's magic for yourself — plus a little bit extra — then there’s no better choice than the DS-1W.
Waza Craft: a Higher Art of Stompbox Design
The Japanese word "waza" means art and technique, an appropriate name for BOSS's premium line of redesigned guitar effects pedals. You see, the pedal collectors here at Sweetwater have seen more than enough special-edition stompboxes that are only a paint job away from the originals, which is why we're so blown away by what BOSS has done with the Waza Craft series. Even in their Standard modes, Waza Craft pedals sound like idealized versions of the originals, offering the same sonic character that made them iconic, but with less noise and more consistent tone. And when you A/B the standard mode and the custom mode, the contrast is nothing short of astonishing.
BOSS DS-1W Waza Craft Distortion Pedal Features :
- Special Waza Craft edition of the legendary BOSS DS-1
- Enhanced design includes a 2-stage gain circuit made with discrete analog components
- Dual-mode design for a wide range of tonal possibilities
- Standard mode captures the power and aggression of the original DS-1
- Custom mode fills out your tone’s bottom end, sharpens the midrange, and increases touch responsiveness
- Premium buffer keeps your tone nice and clear when the pedal is disengaged
Tech Specs :
- Pedal Type:Distortion
- Inputs:1 x 1/4"
- Outputs:1 x 1/4"
- Bypass Switching:Buffered
- EQ:Tone Control
- Controls:Distortion, Standard/Custom Mode Switch
- Power Source:9V DC power supply (sold separately)
- Batteries:1 x 9V
- Power Usage:15mA
- Manufacturer Part Number:DS-1W