Gibson SG Standard 61 Sideways Vibrola - Vintage Cherry
SG Standard ’61
Immortalized by Santana at Woodstock and smashed onstage by Townshend, the Gibson SG is a rock icon. Gibson’s Nashville-made 2019 SG Standard ’61 takes you back to the first model year of the legendary solidbody electric guitar — small pickguard, vintage cherry finish, and all. The SG Standard ’61 is spec’d with a pair of toneful humbuckers; a fast, comfortable SlimTaper neck; and a bound, Plek’d rosewood fretboard with action that’s almost nonexistent. The SG’s lightweight mahogany body delivers great sustain and no pain, even if you play all night. And the worn nitro finish looks and feels great while enhancing the tone of this legendary rock machine. Own your piece of rock history: the Gibson SG Standard ’61.
Burstbucker pickups deliver timeless humbucker tone
When it comes to capturing that classic Gibson tone, nothing beats the sound of Burstbucker 61 pickups. You’ll love the tight low end, complex midrange, and sweet highs you’ll get out of these pickups — it’s everything you expect when you pick up a Gibson! That’s because Burstbucker 61 pickups were designed to re-create the sound of original 1961 humbuckers to perfection. So if you want the iconic tone of a classic Gibson SG, the SG Standard ’61 is the guitar for you.
SlimTaper neck carve and Plek’d frets for optimized playability
Comfort and playability were two of Gibson’s primary concerns when they were designing the 2019 SG Standard ’61. You’ll be delighted by how comfortably this guitar’s fast, early-’60s SlimTaper neck profile fits your hand. For your playing pleasure, the rosewood fingerboard is buffed to silky smoothness and bound so that no fret ends impede your dexterity. The frets are dressed to perfection using a Plek Pro machine for optimized playability. Typically reserved for top-dollar custom guitars, this process levels the frets with pinpoint precision, providing you with the most playable fretboard you’re likely to own.
Nitro finish for the look and feel of a classic
The SG Standard ’61 2019 wears a gorgeous gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Nitro finishes — standard back in the day — are significantly thinner than today’s polyurethane finishes, allowing the guitar to “breathe.” Nitro finishes not only look vintage-y wonderful, but they also enhance the instrument’s tonal qualities. This guitar has the look (and feel) of a lovingly cared-for classic — one that will only improve with age.
Gibson SG Standard ’61 Solidbody Electric Guitar Features:
- Comfortable, lightweight, iconic doubled-horned mahogany body
- Fast mahogany SlimTaper neck with rosewood fingerboard and 22 frets
- Plek’d frets for effortless playability
- 24.75" scale length; 1.695"-wide Tektoid nut
- Pickups: Burstbucker 61R (neck), Burstbucker 61T (bridge)
- Aluminum Nashville Tune-o-matic bridge
- Maestro Sideways Vibrola tailpiece
- Classic black top hat knobs
- Vintage Deluxe tuners with keystone buttons
- Nickel-plated hardware
- 2 volume, 2 tone controls; 3-way toggle pickup selector
- Body Type:Solidbody
- Body Shape:SG Standard '61
- Number of Strings:6
- Body Material:Mahogany
- Body Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Color:Vintage Cherry
- Neck Material:Mahogany
- Neck Shape:Slim Taper
- Fingerboard Material:Rosewood
- Fingerboard Inlay:Acrylic Trapezoids
- Number of Frets:22, Medium Jumbo
- Scale Length:24.75"
- Nut Width:1.695"
- Nut Material:GraphTech
- Bridge/Tailpiece:ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic with Sideways Vibrola
- Tuners:Vintage Deluxe
- Neck Pickup:Burstbucker 61R Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup:Burstbucker 61T Humbucker
- Controls:2 x volume, 2 x tone, 3-way toggle pickup switch
- Strings:Gibson, .010-.046
- Case Included:Hardshell Case