TC Electronic V550 Preamp Pedal
Latter-day Van Halen tone in a box, TC Electronic’s V550 Preamp harnesses the power of Ampworx technology to precisely emulate a revolutionary tube amp from the early 1990s. Like its fellow Ampworx siblings, this pedal boasts a versatile 2-channel design, giving you access to two distinct voices: a lower-gain “Green” channel and the all-out, arena-shaking high-gain shriek of the “Red” channel. A 3-band Low/Mid/High tone section and Gain/Level/Reso knobs function independently depending on your selectable channel, allowing you to carve out each of the V550’s two voices to perfectly suit your tonal taste. And if you need to add just a touch of extra impact to a key lick or solo, a quick stomp of the dedicated Boost switch cranks up your signal by 5dB. Lastly, the V550’s back panel tops it all off with a cab sim-enabled DI out, global Presence control, and Pre/Post switch to choose where the V550’s boost lies in the circuit.
Inspired by One of The ’90s Most Influential Tube Amps
The TC Electronic V550 is a top-class tonal tribute to the amp that fueled late-period Van Halen’s guitar theatrics. What does it sound like? The V550 delivers a tone that threads the needle between all-out high-gain extravagance and tasteful dynamics. There’s a reason why the original amp that inspired the V550 has ventured well outside the realm of arena rock, becoming a veritable classic in the world of extreme metal, hardcore, and even among traditional rockers. Fittingly, the V550 provides a truly immense range of tones, and the key is its 2-channel setup of a “Green” and “Red” channel. The “Green” channel covers all your clean and low-gain needs, although it’s no slouch in the dirt department at heavier settings. Click over to the Red channel to be rewarded with rich and vibrant saturation sound, granting you a near-limitless well of gain to draw from.
Footswitchable Boost with Dedicated Rear-Panel Controls
Looking to crank up the grit? Simply stomp on the V550’s Boost footswitch to add some extra heat to your tone! Moreover, the “Pre/Post” switch gives you the power to choose where the boost is placed in your signal chain. While it can be placed at the end of the V550’s circuit for more volume and authority, Sweetwater guitarists find that cranking the boost up in the “Pre” section results in rich, saturated overdrive tones on even the mildest of pickup configurations.
A Comprehensive Set of Functional Features
Apart from serving as a spot-on amplifier emulation, the V550 is loaded with a vast array of quality-of-life functions to aid you in your practice, recording, and gigging endeavors. First up, the 2-channel Red/Green design features fully independent tone-shaping options on each respective channel, with a dedicated footswitch to instantly swap between raucous lead tones and more restrained rhythms. In addition, the V550 boasts a DI for easy recording and performance, equipped with an official Celestion 4 x 12-inch G12M Heritage cab-sim IR emulation for the full dynamic response of a classic amp stack.
TC Electronic Ampworx V550 Preamp Pedal Features :
- Captures the sonic essence of a legendary high-gain tube amplifier from 1992 that famously defined Van Halen’s latter day guitar tones
- TC Electronic’s cutting-edge Ampworx modeling technology provides a stunningly accurate replication of the original amp’s response
- 2-channel design, boasting a “Green” channel for crunchy rhythms and cleaner sound paired with a “Red” channel for arena-sized, gain drenched leads
- Dedicated boost switch kicks up your signal by 5 dB for instant dynamic shifts
- Rear-panel Pre/Post switch allows you to se the boost either before or after the preamp circuit
- 3-band EQ, Reso control, and Gain/Level knobs function independently for each channel, paired with a global Presence knob
- Headphone out and dedicated cab sim-enabled DI out sporting an official Celestion 4 x 12-inch G12M Heritage cab sim IR for massive and full-bodied tones
Tech Specs :
- Type:Guitar Preamp
- EQ:3-band EQ, Presence
- Manufacturer Part Number:0709-AJX86-001